Channels: Carrier mapping (for shipments)
It's possible (and sometimes required) in ChannelEngine to 'map' your own carriers/shipping methods to specific carriers allowed by marketplaces. While there are some marketplaces that have no restrictions on the carrier (as long as you submit a carrier name + track & trace link), a lot have a specific list of carriers they accept. If your shipment method does not contain a value from that specific carrier list, your shipment will be rejected and the order will not be marked as processed.
This can have negative effects on your seller ratings on a marketplace (in case of bol.com your orders will even be deleted and refunded after a few days), thus it's very important to have your shipping set up correctly.
To configure the carrier mapping go to the channel you wish to configure this for, go to the tab ' Mappings' and select the sub-tab 'Carrier mappings'.
There you can press the blue " + Add" button in order to create a new rule for mapping. This works in a similar fashion as the product selection, although simplified in comparison. You will see 3 different columns labeled 'Your shipping method', 'Customer delivery country', and 'Channel'. It easiest to view these columns as 'input' (coming from you) + 'country you are shipping to' -> 'output'.
- "Your shipping method": This is the name of the shipment method/carrier name that you submit on shipments. Please note that the name has to match 100% so in the above case this rule will not be applied if 'post nl' is submitted on a shipment itself. If you start typing the name of your shipping method, it will check the existing shipping methods on shipments in our database.
- "Customer delivery country": This column is relevant if you use different subcarriers/country based carrier per country. An example of this is 'DPD'. While this is one carrier company, there is a distinct 'DPD NL', 'DPD BE', 'DPD DE' carrier code for most marketplaces. By setting the 'customer delivery country' you can differentiate the carrier per delivery country.
- "Channel": This column displays the list of available carriers for that specific channel. Please note these lists are comprised of the carrier abbreviation as used in the API of that marketplaces. Thus some names can be cryptic (for example for bol.com: PostNL = TNT, Bezorgafspraak = COURIER, etc - see https://developers.bol.com/appendix-a-transporters/).
There is one channel in which case you might not want to set up any carrier mapping: Amazon. Amazon has a predefined list of carrier codes that can also be selected in the carrier mapping.
This list has not been updated for years and new carriers are added to a different system: carrier names. Unfortunately, while these options are visible in Amazons Seller Central, there are no predefined lists available that we can use and import. If you use a carrier that doesn't have a carrier code but has a carrier name (like TNT IT or BRT for example), you have 2 options:
- Do not set up any carrier mapping and directly put that as a carrier method on your shipments (so your original shipment already has the correct carrier method). In that case, we will automatically export it as a carrier name to Amazon.
- The alternative is that you select 'Other' as a carrier method in the dropdown (see 1 in the image below). Once selected an additional field below it will appear where you can fill in the name of the desired carrier name, like BRT (see 2 in the image below).
Please be aware that the name has to match 100% with what Amazon expects in order for a working track&trace link to be generated by Amazon. An example is "TNTIT". This is the correct carrier name for TNT in Italy, but 'tnt_it', 'TNT it', 'Tnt Italy' would all be exported to Amazon but not match the correct carrier so no valid tracking link can be created