If you want to sell your products across multiple European countries and these are not very mainstream or big brand products, it might be required to supply your product information in multiple languages to create your products on different marketplaces across Europe. In order to facilitate product information in other languages then you may possess or speak by default, ChannelEngine offers the option to translate source information by using external automated translation services like Google Cloud Translate or Deepl.
Products translations are currently labeled a beta feature, so if you would like to use this please contact customer success via firstname.lastname@example.org to have this enabled.
- Navigate to Products > Product translations. If the option is not visible in this menu, your account will not have beta features enabled.
- You will see an overview listing al previously created translations. Use the blue '+ Add Translation rule' option to add a new one.
- On the next screen several fields will need to be filled and selected:
- Name: add a name for your translation.
- Translation service: select the translation service you want to use for the translations. Please note that source and destination language and the costs may vary based on which translation service is selected. Also, note that Deepl does not support HTML for example so if your source contains HTML this may result in unwanted results.
- Select source language: select the language of the input data. It's important this is correct, as otherwise, the translation will fail as the words will be unknown in that language.
- Select destination language: select the language for the output of the data. Multiple languages can be selected.
- Level: select all the relevant products you wish to create a translation for: either by selecting a channel (all products currently in the selection for that channel will be used as source), or a specific listing.
- Fields: select the source fields for the selected products you want to use. This will usually be fields like your description or title attributes.
- Once all fields have been filled / selected, press Calculate translations costs to see how many characters and products will be translated and what the total costs would be.
- Once you have checked the costs and agree with the selection, press 'Save' in order to store the translations.
- The newly created translation rule(s) will now be visible in the overview.
The translation has not yet been performed, this is done only after you press 'Schedule' (which will also have a confirmation popup to prevent accidental ok's). This will not always immediately be executed right away (therefore, the label 'schedule') as the translation APIs have (rate) limits and it's not always possible to immediately submit 2 million characters for translation. Once scheduled, changes are no longer possible, but until then you can always edit your translation by selecting the editing pencil.
Once scheduled and executing, the status will change to 'Running'. At this point you can only see the translation and no longer edit it.
Once finished, the status will be changed to 'Completed' and the new translations should be available as extra data attributes for products.
To verify, just go the channel or listing containing the products you created the translations for. Open a product from this selection and scroll down to the extra (data) section. There you will see one or more translated attributes added by the translation service (figure 2) created from the origin (figure 1).